UANI Calls For Designation Of Ali Khamenei As A Terrorist Under Executive Order 13224 And Other International Authorities
(New York, N.Y.) — United Against Nuclear Iran (UANI) Chairman Senator Joseph I. Lieberman and CEO Ambassador Mark D. Wallace issued the following joint statement today calling for the designation of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist under U.S. Executive Order 13224 and other international terrorism authorities. Khamenei is the commander-in-chief of Iran’s Armed Forces. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) reports directly to him as does Iran’s Supreme National Security Council. He is the ultimate decision-maker in Iran.
Since Khamenei became supreme leader, the Islamic Republic has:
- Taken multiple foreign citizens hostage.
- Ordered terrorist attacks, including the bombings of Asociacion Mutual Israelita Argentina (AMIA) and Khobar Towers.
- Attempted mass casualty attacks in Europe where Americans were present.
- Plotted assassinations and attacks against current and former U.S. and foreign officials, including former National Security Advisor John Bolton, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, and former U.S. Special Envoy for Iran Brian Hook.
- Plotted and incited assassinations against U.S. citizens and permanent residents, including author Salman Rushdie.
- Plotted kidnappings of U.S. and foreign nationals, including Iranian American dissident Masih Alinejad.
- Supported missile and drone strikes across the Middle East, which have targeted Americans.
- Proliferated explosively formed penetrators in Iraq, which resulted in the deaths of hundreds of U.S. troops.
- Funded multiple sanctioned foreign terrorist organizations, including the IRGC, Hezbollah, Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Asa’ib Ahl al-Haq, and Kataib Hezbollah.
- Provided safe harbor for Al Qaeda’s senior leadership.
“Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei exemplifies the kind of individual who should be sanctioned under Executive Order 13224 as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist. He hides behind religion to foment terrorism abroad. Simply put, Khamenei is a terrorist. Many of his subordinates, including the Commander of the IRGC’s Quds Force Esmail Qaani, are already Specially Designated Global Terrorists under Executive Order 13224, as are the entities he controls. At a minimum, Khamenei should be similarly sanctioned given that he leads a terror state which poses a continuing and immediate threat to the American people. This terrorism designation should also include any entity Iran’s supreme leader controls, including his office, foundations, economic conglomerates, and the Central Bank of Iran.
“We urge the United Nations, the European Union, and the United Kingdom to also use their respective authorities to sanction Khamenei as a terrorist. His regime represents a clear and present danger to the international community. For far too long, Khamenei has been allowed to hide behind his presidents and religious piety to avoid international scrutiny.
“It is time to hold him personally accountable.”