United Against Nuclear Iran (UANI) is launching a petition directed at the U.S. government, the European Union, and G7 countries calling on them to hold the Islamic Republic of Iran accountable for its crimes against humanity in its crackdown on Iranian protesters and support for terrorism worldwide. Actions will speak louder than words. UANI calls on these governments to implement the following measures:
- The U.S. government and the E3 (the United Kingdom, France, and Germany) must end nuclear negotiations with the Islamic Republic of Iran to revive the 2015 nuclear deal. It would resource the very repressive elements killing, imprisoning, and injuring the Iranian people today in the protests that have enveloped the country.
- The Supreme Leader of Iran Ayatollah Ali Khamenei should be personally sanctioned for human rights abuses and sponsorship of terrorism. As commander-in-chief, Khamenei oversees the Iranian police and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), which brutally suppress protesters, including breaking the skulls of teenage girls. In his management of the IRGC, Khamenei also oversees Iran's support for the Axis of Resistance, a network of organizations designated for terrorism in multiple jurisdictions. This includes Hezbollah and Hamas. Additionally, the entities Khamenei’s office controls, including foundations and economic conglomerates, should be similarly sanctioned for human rights abuses and support for terrorism.
- The President of Iran Ebrahim Raisi should be personally sanctioned for human rights abuses. Raisi, who earlier in his career participated on a death commission greenlighting the executions of thousands of political prisoners, is chairman of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) and oversees Iran's implementation of the crackdown on Iranian protesters.
- U.S. allies with diplomatic relations with Iran should withdraw their ambassadors from Tehran and should in turn downgrade the Islamic Republic’s diplomatic presence in their countries. This is in protest of the regime’s growing roster of foreign hostages; Iran's provision of lethal drones to Russia for use in its invasion of Ukraine; and because of the Iranian leadership's suppression of Iranian people protesting for their basic rights.
- The U.S. government and its allies should spearhead the establishment of an independent United Nations (UN) investigative mechanism to hold Iranian leaders and security forces accountable for the oppression of the Iranian people.
- The U.S. government and its allies should launch an effort to remove Iran from the UN Commission on the Status of Women. With Tehran murdering teenage girls over their refusal to wear a hijab, this government's place in such a UN organization is a disgrace.
- The U.S. government should strictly enforce its sanctions that are already on the books, including efforts to seize Iranian oil tankers, to deny the Iranian regime resources which will be used to oppress its own people.